Friday, April 11, 2008

Step aside, Mediacorp, Starhub & Mio

It's been a long hiatus from blogging.
Finally, the family and I are more or less settled in the new flat, the new environment, and the new food and new short cuts to and from places.

The internet is finally up and running [as I was still able to check my mails at my wife's office, there was a certain inertia (In Hokkien, it's called nuah-ness) in getting the line fixed], and the connection is faster than before!

In this new flat, my wife and I have made a conscious effort in making it a very conducive environment for Yu Wen to grow up and learn. One of the major decisions is not to have a TV in the living room. With the TV, there's always the tendency to switch it on and waste quality time away. Now, the bookshelf is just next to Yu Wen's bed and every time she wakes up or when we come back, she will ask us to read books to her, or she'll read them herself.

I have to sacrifice my all-time favourite football action, but if push comes to shove, I can always pop by my friend's flat nearby to satisfy the cravings.

I would say without the TV, the new place has a very meditative look and feel about it. I feel calm whenever I am at home.

When it's more furnished, I might post some pictures. There are still plenty of boxes strewn everywhere at the moment.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear u and family have settled nicely in. :) Great decision about the TV btw! That 'void' will no doubt encourage more creative and constructive ways of spending time whether alone or together. I'm envious... :P

KC_Wong said...

hopefully it can achieve its intended target. right now, i've been taking a bit of flak from would-be visitors and all the surprise looks on contractors' faces. X my fingers.

Unknown said...

ZB and I had the same plan (until Singtel broadband ruined it by giving us an obscenely cheap one with our subscription). We got quite a lot of flak and surprised reactions then too.

One of ZB's past bosses didn't have a TV and he had 2 young sons... said it worked great for him. Lots more interaction in the family. So all the best with ur experiment! :)