Friday, July 27, 2007

The dark horse has crossed the finishing line.....second!
Yes, I am pleased to say that one of the images has won 2nd prize in the VivoCity Photo competition.

The surprising thing is it's not one of the images I thought that stood a bigger chance, but rather it's the least expected one that went down well with the judges.


I know I will step on some toes, but honestly, I think there is a difference when it comes to selecting winning images for competitions when the main judges are professional/working photographers, as opposed to senior members of Photographic Society of Singapore (PSS).

Even though the final judging for VivoCity involves non-photographers, but Russell Wong was roped in and so was Sebastian Tan (Shooting Gallery) who was involved in the 1st round of judging.

PSS follows a certain formula when it comes to deciding what photos are nice. If you have strong colours, nice framing, use panning, or a fish-eye lens, chances are your photos would more often than not, secure some prizes in competitions judged by them. I am not undermining images that are like that, but I am sure a winning photograph can be more than just that.

That's why I am very happy that my photo was selected despite it not being a typical competition-friendly photo. That really encourages me because I know now that there is always an audience out there even if I don't shoot things that are considered "good".

Ok. Don't flame/shoot me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, KC!

Anonymous said...

Congrats... it's a great foto... thought-provoking I would say. :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats!