Monday, November 26, 2007

Shooting Styles

Hooked up with Yang of Substance Films to shoot Noel & Camille's wedding last Friday.

Well, had a casual "professional" discussion with him on shooting styles and approaches to weddings. He was telling me that he might want to be more interactive with couples in future, to make them and the people at the weddings feel more comfortable in the presence of cameras. Some photographers do that, by being very friendly and talkative on the actual day.

This approach has its merits. Of course, the couple and all those involved in the weddings will be familiar with the photographer/videographer if there is a lot of friendly banter between them, and they might look happier in front of cameras. It makes for better PR as well because by doing this, people will remember "Oh! That photographer? I remember. He's very funny!"

For me, I will engage them in simple conversation, always wear a smile, as my way to get them relaxed. Not only because I am not good at telling jokes, but I feel that by engaging too much, I might be too involved in the events unfolding, and in a way might alter their outcome and people's behaviour. That is not very documentary to me.
Unless it's some group/posed shots when I will do a bit more directing, I prefer to record faithfully the story unfolding before my eyes and camera. That's my version of wedding photojournalism.

Anyway, here are some wedding pictures of Noel & Camille to share:












Venue: Conrad Hotel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha...yang is the interactive type mah :)

conrad! we were just shooting there the other day haha...