Monday, June 30, 2008

Thoughts on Euro2008

So finally, Spain has erased 44 years of heartache to clinch the European Championships in style, courtesy of a Fernando Torres goal.

Except for this morning's final, I haven't watched a single match at the just-over Euro2008 (I don't have a TV, and the final match was watched at a friend's house). Do I miss all the action? Sadly, not much. I can still have a daily dosage of football action on the internet and in newspapers, and still have my sleep.

Call it aging, or change of priorities, or a stronger allegiance to club football (to be more specific, Liverpool), international matches that used to have me pumping with excitement no longer can defeat the lure of the sleeping bug, except when it comes to the Champions League or Premier League games that involve Liverpool.

I can still remember 2005, the year Liverpool last won the Champions League, I was so excited after the game that I went to have breakfast in the rainy aftermath at around 6am in a near-deserted hawker centre and tasted buns so fresh and hot that the cheese literally melted in my mouth.

That was one of the sweetest breakfast I've ever tasted, not only because Liverpool won, but also because during the 120 minutes my friends and I were cheering and exchanging SMS messages, we've stopped worrying about work, the next promotion, the next instalment, and to become boys again.

No comments: