Sunday, December 30, 2007

Economics 101

I am not sure how many people out there actually worry about the economy, but self-employed people like me always have to keep in touch with the world and financial news to plan for our futures.

The subprime crisis looks set to burden the world economy for the next couple of years. Despite what some optimists claim, but I do think the crisis' impact on our economy will be more pronounced. So how is it going to impact on me? Well, I don't know yet, but there are a few scenarios:

Recession: I cut my fees but there is still no takers for my service.
Depression: I cut my fees, give discounts behind the scene, throw in free maternity shots, but still no bookings.
Inflation: I raise my fees, and raise my fees (and pray).
Hyperinflation: See inflation, but do it four times per month.
Stagflation: All my suppliers raise their prices, but I cut my fees, give discounts behind the scene, throw in free maternity shots, but still no bookings.
Wedding En Bloc: Every wedding photographers' dream. 50 couples come together to book my service for the year, and I give some discount.

Some times, I miss the perks that corporate world provides with. For example, I have a friend who works in the financial line whose company offers him very generous medical benefits, which even extend to his wife. So, now that the wife is pregnant, all medical bills are covered by the company, and to top it off, he is also entitled to three months paternity leave!

Now if I were him, I'd have four children and be able to take one year off! Fully paid.

Back to my real world, it's never a bed of roses, especially this December! Just shot my last wedding of 2007 on 29th and I cannot describe how relieved I am right now. It's a short respite because there are always the conveyor belt of albums to take care of. But at least I don't have to run around like a mad chicken when 2008 is ushered in.

Here's another December wedding to share:













No comments: