Friday, January 18, 2008

Alien In Jakarta

This is part two of Wilson and Xiaowei's wedding, held in Jakarta. It was a simple tea ceremony and a evening reception of a scale much smaller than the one they had in Singapore. It was my first trip to Jakarta, and her reputation preceded my arrival. Noisy, dirty, congested and dangerous.....these are just some of the adjectives I heard . To be fair, many Asian cities are all of the above, with Singapore Inc. being an exception rather than the norm.

However, Jakarta turned out to be a very lively and vibrant city. Her architecture is much more adventurous and colourful than the drab and monotonous skyline in Singapore. The great rich-poor divide is to be expected and anticipated, and being a Malaysian, that is nothing shocking or new.

Food is good, and the shopping malls are big and some have very interesting concepts. The diversity of foreign labels is impressive, with some foreign big names having a bigger presence there than in Singapore, if at all.

For example, I was inquiring about watches on behalf of a friend and what seemed to be a rarity in Singapore turns out to be readily available in Jakarta. The stainless steel version of the Rolex Daytona is reportedly hard to get, but it was in stock at all three outlets I visited, and cheaper too!

The skies in Jakarta are notoriously grey, hazy and dirty. Fortunately, it was clear and blue and sunny on the 2 days I was there. Even the locals were amazed.

I had a nice room at the JW Marriott and it offered very good view of the city centre.


However, nothing beats the view at Wilson's 46th-storey apartment. Actually, the apartments have very high ceilings, so it feels more like 60+ storey at an apartment block with lower ceilings.



On the wedding day, due to some miscalculation, I had to cramp inside the Indonesian Video team's Kijang (a kind of SUV), not at the passenger seat, but in the "boot" compartment. There was a lot of equipment there, and the space was made more compact by easels sticking in. I couldn't sit, and fortunately the back-breaking journey took only 10 minutes.


One interesting observation was the sight of many wreaths on display at the entrance of the hotel. They were presented by guests of the family and they would definitely look oddly out of place back home. :)


With today's price of gold, I know where the smile is coming from.


When I first saw this scene, I thought I was in the set of CSI:Miami, or somewhere in California. It was one of the nicest urban sunsets I have seen in many years.


Enough said. Just some random shots to share.








I will surely revisit Jakarta.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

a very beautiful series here kc. sunset shot takes the cake.

Unknown said...

Ooh, I'm a little disappointed that it was a low key affair in Jakarta. When I read ur earlier post that you were making a trip there I had looked forward to ur captures of an extravagant and gorgeous party! Cos usually weddings there are so much grander than Singapore ones, with a lot more effort and artistry put into the decor... and into style and dress among the guests too! :P

KC_Wong said...

Thanks Eadwine.
Was told it was really rare in jakarta. I bet many people whipped out their camera phones and documented it as well.

Hi animann, I have seen pictures of those weddings before. Actually, as a visual spectacle, such weddings are gorgeous as a visual spectacle, but too grand and proper for the couples to display any emotions.

I would have think twice if I were to fly there for such an event, as opposed to a small and intimate one though.

Unknown said...

Hey KC, u could be right about that. It's been 20 yrs since I attended such weddings and as a kid (and flower girl) I always had fun. Was just curious as to how you would have captured such a wedding!