Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Excuse me, are you a Malaysian?

A client recently asked me if I have acquired a Singapore passport (I am a Malaysian). I told her I almost did, but then did a U-turn and now I am on the fence again.

I've been studying in Singapore since Primary One but I still love pretty much a lot of things back in Malaysia: the food, the space, the beaches, the nature, and the people. I still follow Malaysian politics as much as I can, and still try to sell the good side of JB to my wife.

However, since I am a product of the Singapore education system since a tender age, I also consider myself a half-Singaporean. I'd criticise and complain about many things Singapore (like all Singaporeans do), but behind the criticism is a veiled and quiet admiration and love for a country which had provided me with a wife and given birth to a lovely daughter.

So, if you ask me now how I feel being a Malaysian settling down in Singapore, my answer will be:

"From behind, I feel like I am being sodomised (by the messy politics and crime rate), and from the front, I feel my balls being squeezed (by the escalating cost of living)!"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi KC,

Well said..Indeed we are definitely very "squeezed" with the escalating cost of living..At least you have one more option to play with..Probably a blessing in disguise in the times to come =)

Unknown said...

yeah, u are really SQUEEZED