Friday, September 07, 2007

Hi, I am back from Sabah!
I must say it was a pretty nice trip.
Beside shooting my clients of 1 year (they had their S'pore wedding last Nov) at 2 intimate parties, my parents, younger sister, wife, and daughter also tagged along to visit Borneo for their first time.

This was my 2nd trip to Sabah----the 1st being an assignment with The New Paper, when I had to track with a bunch of very young children for a few hours, starting from deep in the mountains where their village was located, to a school many mountains away. Boy, that was one of the most unforgettable trips I've ever had, and the one that won the trust of the many skeptics in the newsroom.

What a different world now. 8 years on, I am strolling by Shangri La Tanjung Aru waterfront, watching the beauty sunset, and shooting weddings for fun. Borneo is very much under-rated, especially amongst S'pore travellers. Apart from divers, I don't think it's that popular a tourist destination for Singaporeans. I hardly see one there (good thing).

However, it has so many outdoor adventures to offer: Mountain trekking/climbing, diving/snorkelling, wildlife-watching, cultural heritage etc. It definitely deserves more time and attention. However, due to time constrain, I only managed to stay for 2 nights at the foot of Mt Kinabalu.

Another thing worth mentioning is the bewildering range of fantastic seafood. Fish in colours i never imagine exist and ready for my consumption. Clams, shellfish of all sizes and species beckon, and prices are easy on the pocket. (I heard eastern Sabah is even cheaper!)For more info, visit www.sabahtourism.com

I also had a very pleasant experience with AirAsia. I flew to Sabah from Senai airport in JB, and the check-in process was swift and met with warm smiles. The taking-off was punctual and on both trips, the flights were earlier than scheduled. Disembarking from the plane was super fast. For the time a normal aircraft takes to taxi in Changi, AirAsia lands, taxis and disembarks and in no time, i am already at the arrival hall. I was very impressed (with the pretty stewardesses too) and told my wife to purchase more AirAsia shares. Yeah!

Anyway, some pictures to share....

Nice sunset (and gals) off the South China Sea.







Different moods of Mt Kinabalu.



It was pretty cold up there and the bungalow we stayed in came with a fireplace. Yu Wen had loads of fun exposing her belly button to the cold breeze.




We went nearly 1 km uphill at this place called Poring Hotsprings to attempt the canopy walk. It was said to be 60m above the jungle undergrowth, and allows tourists intimate and unique views of the rainforest and wildlife. However, my advice is not to bite off more than you can chew. It's no joke trying to balance a girl and myself on a suspension bridge. The rest of my family were scared stiff, so much so that they declined the 2nd leg of the walk.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Nice sunset (and gals)..."

where??? no peekture??

KC_Wong said...

So obvious, can't you see? One big one small.

Unknown said...

one is too young, the other one taken!