Friday, April 03, 2009

The jitters

Even though I have been in this line for a number of years now, I still get jitters before every wedding shoot.

I think it's a good thing. The worst that can happen is when familiarity breeds contempt. The easy thing to do is show up on the wedding day, shoot the usual stuff, pack up, collect cheque and wait for the next shoot. Right?

Well, I can't bring myself to do that. I'll be a bit anxious and thousands of thoughts will run through my mind: will the light be good on that day? Will there be chemistry between the "players" at the wedding? How can I outdo my last shoot? What's that "something different" for this wedding?

I am not sure about the other photographers, but I feel that this fear helps with achieving something that brings me closer to perfection (I'm not saying it is).

Without this fear, we'll just be going through the motions. Fear keeps me on the toes. Luckily it doesn't keep me awake before the big day.

No comments: