Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Anyone & Noone, Someone & Everyone

Last week I went to watch a Chinese musical, "If There are Seasons", which is medley of Singapore singer/song-writer Liang Wenfu's songs. I must admit that I do not watch musicals or drama productions often, as I am not a very cheem/deep person in spirit. What piqued my interest were the songs that I grew up with and a chance to reconnect with them.

I wasn't left disappointed as I was transported back to my teenage days, the budding friendships and puppy love. The singers put up a solid performance, but being a tad biased, I'd have preferred original interpretations of some of my favourite songs. Even though there isn't much character development (quite stereotypical and predictable characters: a struggling song-writer in foreign land, and old restauranteur with an unfulfilled musical career etc. ), there are certain touching moments and I could hear some sniffing and blowing of noses inside the theatre. I also bumped into a couple whose wedding I will shoot in 2 weeks' time.

However, what really struck me was the opening rendition of EE Cummings' poem "anyone lived in a pretty how town". Anyone & Noone are real, and they know how to live and love, even though the Someones and Everyones in the town either dislike them or are indifferent towards them. On the other hand, the Someones and Everyones are living in an illusory dream, a monotonous and conforming life, which render them insignificant.

Well, I won't go too much into it, lest I expose more of my ignorance.

I thought this picture says a bit about Anyone, Noone, Someone and Everyone, my re-interpretation.

2 comments:

wansheng said...

you are the one!:P

Anonymous said...

Nice pic!

btw, notice some "dinosaurs" on the left.