Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I cut short my trip to return home 2 days earlier than expected.
At first I wanted to take some time to explore other less popular parts of Bali, but then alone in the hotel, I was feeling pretty lonely.

On the day of departure to Bali, I didn't have a chance to see my baby waving goodbye to me because she was fast asleep at the airport. It created a sense of loss in my heart, like something is left unfinished and hanging up there.

On the day of the shoot, my wife SMS me:
"The minute she opens her eyes tis morning, she shouts Daddy Daddy Daddy. Tink she misses u man."

My hearts almost melted. At times like this, I really admire Kelvin Koh of Lightedpixels
who can spend weeks and weeks in a stretch in Australia and Europe doing pre-wedding shoots. How can he stand this homesickness, man?

I guess he is a big man who can do big things, judging by his level of endurance.
Me? I am only a small man, doing my own little small things, and a father of a small girl, whom daddy misses big time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can totally understand how you feel man...i used to experience this all the time when i was travelling on the job haha :).

ahh..parenthood ;)

Anonymous said...

welcome home man. you dun have to be a family man to miss home, kelvin's endurance is well respected by many of us, I for one wont be able to do what he can.

cool bali shots, will be going there again next month.

Anonymous said...

I really miss the girls too and have been cutting back days to come home earlier too! Hahah... you are not alone. =)

The plan initially was for Beth and Kyra to come along with me on my trips. However, little Kyra proved quite a handful during a recent 4 hour trip to Perth. She just couldnt keep still! So now, we are holding back till next year when hopefully she is more manageable, before she travels further than Perth. Plus, Jacqelyn Law has agreed to babysit her n shop with the wife when I am shooting!

Spending the whole month in August recently for the shoots was quite a struggle. I missed them lots. However, sometimes, sacrifices have to be made to pursue one's passion. The opportunity to shoot in a few cities meant that I had to spend that prolonged period away. To fly back and forth would prove too costly and I can't afford to do that now. Also, no that I work from home, I am thankful for the fact that I see them everyday when I am not overseas.

Anyways, what help was getting our skype set up and video conferencing with the girls. Brilliant though Kyra was a little confused. Daily phone calls also helps.

Do hope to see more of your overseas shoots. This Bali set is really nice. =)

Cheers

Kelvin