Tuesday, October 09, 2007

"There has long been an adage that it isn't what you know that's important for getting ahead in the business world, it's who you know. Now it appears that what really counts is what you look like. According to research by US economists, the more time you soend combing your hair and polishing your shoes in the morning, the more money you are likely to earn once you finally make it intot he office."

I read this article in last Thursday's (Oct 4) Business Times, where by it is worryingly observed that "people are shallow in their judgements, they value showmanship over ability, and they are creating a culture of narcissism, in which the vain triumph over the worthy".

The findings sort of back up an increasing body of work that confirms that the better looking you are, the more successful you will be.

So, in a way, I am quite comforted that most clients' decisions are based on what they see on the photographers' websites (or really?). The thing about meeting up to gauge chemistry is not so relevant for me because 1. many clients book via email/or 3rd party; 2. I am a documentary photographer who stays behind the scenes and record the beautiful moments, not to create them and be part of them. We can be friends, but after the wedding.

It just surprisingly tied up well with my earlier posts about me being the faceless chef who cook up a nice feast to reward my customers. I wish we can have more discerning clients, otherwise, I'd have to invest in a better haircut.

No comments: