Thursday, October 04, 2007

Yu Wen also attends a 50-minute gym class at The Little Gym, which is at Forum. To my understanding, it's a mini-workout for kids that train them to be self-confident and agile. Of course, it's another opportunity for thm to interact with one another. The instructors there believe in not forcing the child to do what the child doesn't want to, but by slowly exposing them to the activities, the child will eventually accept them and enjoy them.

That's why you will see many children running around the gym like busy bees while the instructor is barking instructions to the care-givers. There are definitely merits to this system, as I personally won't want to force Yu Wen to do something against her wishes.

I am also worried that she might lose the ability to adapt herself to an Asian society and does not understand the meaning of teamwork, discipline and a moderate level of "conformity". If it's time to sleep, she should be sleeping. When it's time to bathe, she should bathe.

What's important is to strike a balance between western liberal style of education and asian style of discipline. I think Schoolhouse By The Bay can provide this. We shall see.....and today's a good start:Her 1st day in a school uniform.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apart from the monthly $1750 school fees for my 2 boys, there are a bunch of enrichment programmes that's been sucking my money. Here are some of the programmes that my sons went :

Growing Up Gifted : http://www.gugifted.com/main.htm

Zoo Phonics : http://www.zoo-phonics.com.sg/ (both my 2 boys are now them, my Jay Jay love it)

Kindermusik : http://www.kindermusik.com.sg/ (my Yang tried only for 1 term)

Shichida Method : http://www.shichidamethod.com/ (both my sons tried. Too siong for me)

bakedsconez said...

Hi Gabriel,

Thanks for sharing on the enrichment programmes you've sent your 2 boys to. Will be handy for the future parents to be of KC's couple.

Yu Wen is such a cutie in her blue uniform and her little pink bag =)a child model in the making..Hee..

KC_Wong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KC_Wong said...

Wah...Gabriel, your kids are really very "enriched" man! so many lessons, and so much good stuff!

Now I know why you charge so much, and I am sure your clients will be more than happy that part of their money goes into nurturing 2 of Singapore's brightest!

Anonymous said...

haha...those are the class that we tried. But can't go to everyone of them, wallet will burst!

Currently we settled with just Learning Ladder and Zoo Phonics. These alone cost $2000 monthly for my 2 boys.

.......siong