Friday, May 02, 2008

Labour Day

Well, I am totally ignorant of the history of Labour Day (definitely not started as a gynaecological movement). The cynic in me guess that it's something that capitalists think of to recognise their contribution (to the formers' coffers) and thus in the process to keep workers from hitting the streets to protest against hardship and exploitation.

Incidentally, today's headline is about the discovery of child slavery in China, an "ex-communist, labour-centric" country to an "all-embracing capitalist" economy. I am pretty sure child slavery is unheard of prior to the liberalisation of her economy. It's the price to pay for striving to achieve economic progress in a flawed but otherwise the next best available system.

Labour Day, for most of us (I'm sure) is about family get-together. It's no different for my household. We brought Yu Wen to the Jacob Ballas Children's Garden. It was hot and scorching.

I guess I am hard to please. When it's sunny, I complain. When it rains too often, I also complain. For outdoor photographers like me, it's a love-hate relationship with the local weather.



I was just trying out to see what the fuss is about taking pictures of insects. How difficult can it be, right?
Wrong. The bee kept flying around and wouldn't sit still for more than a second, unlike brides who can freeze in a contortionist pose for eternity in the name of getting good pictures. Slight movement here and there, the image goes out of focus.
I thought it can be a good retirement hobby, but it takes too much patience. I guess I better stick to weddings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

More like a love-to-hate relationship with the local weather :P

KC_Wong said...

That's why you have been shooting so many overseas bridals lah!