Thursday, December 18, 2008

In company of the Greats

I had the honour and pleasure to know quite a few President Scholars (my seniors, peers and juniors) from Hwa Chong JC (the college is pretty good at churning out President Scholars, but somehow only managed to produce ONE wedding photographer so far). In fact, there were two from my class (both from RGS). They are pretty normal on the outside: they still do girlish things, still gossip, and they fall in and out of love.

They are ordinary folks alright, but nothing ordinary when it comes to their work and the potential they can realise. For example, one of this classmates is now a professor in International Relations, teaching at Oxford (I think). I was told she has published a book on the topic of her specialty but with a title so "abstract" and incomprehensible to mortals like me it might as well be written in Greek. It has somehow become a textbook for certain level of students, presumably at least graduate level.

Why I am writing all this is to relate it to the bride here. Denise is also a President Scholar and smart people's heads are usually big because they need to wear many hats, and in her case, Assoc. Professor in Paediatrics, Consultant PD, Head of Genetics (NUH) and Clinical Investigator (A*star).

However, to me, all the above titles pale in comparison to her latest one: wife of Anthony and hopefully in time to come, mother of many.
















No comments: