Friday, August 15, 2008

Dedication

I have an ex-colleague (a press photographer) who eats, drinks, breathes, lives, and dreams photography and occasionally will exchange a few words with his wife before he eats, drinks, breathes, lives and dreams photography again.

He hasn't had the priviledge of receiving high-level education, and as far as I know, he had worked at various odd-jobs, including being a contractor before. He can't speak English well but he speaks from his heart. His appreciation and knowledge of the arts can put me and many others to shame.

The reason why I am talking about him is because two days ago, as I was driving on Sheares Bridge, I saw him walking along the walkway on the side of the bridge (the place where people go to catch fireworks shows).

And I know the reason why he was there. For the past 3-4 years, he has been documenting faithfully with his camera the changes in the Marina Bay landscape. There are at least another 3 years or more before this project is completed. He will edit these photos for a book project. And I can say here that I will be among the very first buyers of this book.

This is what I call dedication. To be able to pursue a dream and personal project doggedly, under all sorts of circumstances, without the glamour and hype behind it.

Sorry to say, there are plenty of photographers out there who only see the glamourous side of things, who go for instant fame by doing something controversial and gimmicky. There are artists who take years and years to pursue a subject before they amass a body of work worthy enough for an exhibition. But here, photographers will happily hold an exhibition based on some travel photographs done in the course of 3 weeks?

Artists have a lot to say, but I do firmly believe that first, artists must make sure it must be something worth saying.

And back to my friend. He doesn't say much.

To me, that says a lot.

I don't have to look as far as the next continent at people like Jose Villa or Trent Parke for inspiration. I have one source of inspiration here in my very own backyard--- a tiny spot on Benjamin Sheares Bridge.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

u oso not bad wht:) u documenting ur children growing up. keep the milk powder receipts, next time can show them:P hehehe!

i think he's tht guy u mentioned before in CS right?

Guolin said...

I've got only one word for him.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Do let me know when his book is out, i wish to buy it too, a book full of passion and dedication.

KC_Wong said...

WS: yes, he's the guy I mentioned b4 in CS. He's my Singapore Idol. His street photography is one of the best, of not the best in Singapore at the moment. I haven't seen any other Singapore street photography as sincere, poetic and humourous as his.

KC_Wong said...

Hi Guolin, thanks for dropping by.
Yes, I will definitely let you know, but that'll be sometime in the future. He told me the sponsorship and funding are not even realised yet....but I think that should come easily after his epic is completed.

It should be in the news if the project comes into fruition. I won't be surprise if future history books contain many of his street photographs. :)

Anonymous said...

Bob Lee?

KC_Wong said...

Bob lee got "tak chey" hor.....moreover with his figure, how can he be a odd job labourer??

Remember this name: Wee Teck Hian.

Anonymous said...

haha Bob lee is my idol leh...actually greymatter also

Anonymous said...

I know Teck Hian from when we were in Hanoi for SEA Games in 2003. I thought it was him when I read your blog entry.

Good man... grounded, humble and very talented. Hope it works out for him, he deserves it.

tau chou